Thursday, March 7, 2019

The Simple Things in Life

Greetings from Canada! 



     Today our group traveled to the town of Stratford and can I just say, Stratford is an incredibly cute and small town. (I may or may not be planning a mini vacation here already.) Also as a fun fact, it is the town that Justin Bieber grew up in and visits frequently. We were able to participate in another Day Program, and this was probably one of the best days I, personally, have had so far. When we entered, only one or two core members were there, but more came to join us as the day went on. Shawn, one of the core members, told us about his background with L'Arche and how he got to where he is now. It was interesting to hear his personal story and the history of that L'Arche community. Today was full of many different activities that ranged from stamping and drawing on a piece of paper to baking banana and chocolate cookies to building a wardrobe for a local L'Arche home. Overall, I really valued the time I got to spend in Stratford.
     Even though we may not have spend the entire day there, the value of my day only continued to grow. We went and joined our houses for dinner, but afterwards we all spent time watching "Mother's Day" and talking. As we sat there, Brian just wanted someone to sit down and knit with him. To give you a little bit of a background, my grandmother taught me how to knit when I was seven. Since then, I have made scarfs, blankets, and I am currently working on baby hats to donate to the local hospital. When Brian asked Mike to sit down and knit with him, I told Mike that I could teach him. After a few lessons, Mike got the hang of it. He took his knitting needles and sat with his legs crossed while facing Brian. As he was knitting, Brian was helping Mike. Just watching the two work together and listening to Brian laugh brought an immediate smile to anyone watching. I have spent some time with Brian, but I have not seen him this happy all week. Entering this trip, I did not think that a skill I have had for years would bring so much happiness to someone; I did not think that I would be teaching others how to knit. This trip has made me realize how much I could not only teach, but also be taught. I have learned quite a bit of Sign Language and plan on continuing this education in the future.
     In my opinion, this has been one of the best days so far. It has taught me that simple things can create happiness in others. I was glad to share my knowledge of knitting, and I even have the blister to prove it. Our trip is coming to an end and I may not know what lies ahead, but I am prepared to take these lessons I have learned home with me to share with others.
See everyone soon!
Sydney 

No comments:

Post a Comment