Sunday, March 10, 2019

A Final Reflection

Although the week is done, the memories, the laughs, and the smiles will still carry on in our hearts. This past week has been an incredible experience for the group and I, one we sure will not forget. It seems like yesterday we had arrived at the Sherman house, bags in hand eager to meet the core members and assistants and now we are all back at Gannon (sad face). We are not sad that it is over, but we are happy that it happened. All the people we met really showed us love, kindness and compassion to a bunch of random college students. They took us into their homes, opened their hearts to us and we opened our hearts to them.



From Hamilton to Toronto to Stratford, we found amazing people every where we went. We got to hangout in many different day programs, meet people with all sorts of backgrounds and stories and find meaning in the simplest things. Who knew the Ring of Fire  by Johnny Cash would still be so popular today (inside joke) or that saying "I farted" over and over could bring so much laughter and joy? My very limited guitar playing skills came in very handy, I picked up a few signs in sign language, and even learned how to knit, my mom was so proud.




L'Arche has taught all of us many different lessons. Some learned patience, some learned to see love in all the people around us, while some learned to enjoy the moments. These are just a few of the many lessons we have learned throughout the trip. But why have me tell you when you can read it from the group members themselves!


Sydney
L’Arche provided me with the opportunity to meet some of the most incredible people. The experiences I had in Ontario will be carried with me when I begin to work as an Occupational Therapy.

Lily
Throughout this trip, I was very blessed to be welcomed into such a loving, caring community. This was really the first time I have ever hung out with people with intellectual disabilities, and it will definitely not be my last. I have just learned so much about the importance of presence and the simplicity of just being authentic and open to each other. An open mindset goes such a long way, and it shines so brightly in all the members of L’Arche. I am so fortunate that I became a part of this community, and it really was something that I was missing in my life. I really valued the conversations (and sometimes lack of conversations) I have with each member of L’Arche. Even silence can mean so much. It really amazes me at how open and genuine each L’Arche member was, and it was so inspiring to see that their disabilities did not limit such a beautiful way of life.

In fact, I feel that their disabilities are a gift rather than something that limits them. They live with their hearts on their sleeves and that is something that I have always been afraid to do. They love freely. They dance freely. They express their emotions freely. Sometimes we live in a world where it seems that only success and achievement define who we are, and we have to hide the “ugly.” We are always trying to prove ourselves or to give more and more of ourselves to the world. It just seems that we will never be enough. And as important as it is to work hard and to achieve our goals, there is something very wonderful in realizing that we ARE enough. It’s okay to just live and appreciate what we are now. We don’t have to let our insecurities and limitations define us because we are so much more than just that. Through my time here, I have made friendships with a movie connoisseur, a bubbly socialite, and a dancing machine.

I have heard laughter, and I have also heard screams. I have seen happiness, anger, and sadness, and every aspect was so important. It’s so human. Instead of hiding away our fears, insecurities, and everything that limits us, we can acknowledge each other and live together. We can laugh and cry together. We can just “be.” And just “being” there with my fellow ABST group and all the L’Arche assistants and members… just appreciating all the different gifts we bring to the world.. just acknowledging and expressing our love.. just meeting each other in the middle.. just supporting each other through different stages of our lives.. that is what I have experienced in their community and it is something that I will never forget. Love is a complex subject but it is not hard. It is through the little things where love is shared.

And although I might get distracted with life’s curveballs, I know that I will always be able to come back to a place of love that is L’Arche. Thank you for showing/sharing with me this love and always remember to stay gold.

Celene
This picture shows many sides of Ross. We brought the coke to dinner because he wanted to be like Mary, his housemate, the night before. He greatly enjoyed treating people to Tim Horton's so he could buy himself another coke. Building the tower showed his silly side as we tried to build it higher. Lauren and I enjoyed sharing dinner with Ross and all the Holton House friends.

Avery
Something I am taking away from this trip is to love by being present. Too often we don’t take time to appreciate the simple things in life, and those are usually the most genuine and beautiful things. I loved everyone on the trip and can’t wait to go back and visit!

Claire
My experience with L’Arche allowed me to foster the most amazing relationships with such a beautiful community. I have never met a more human group of people. L’Arche will always hold a very very very special place in my heart. This trip was truly changing and I am so thankful that I could experience it with such a strong and courageous team. 


Lauren

Every aspect of this trip was truly amazing, I can’t even put it into words. I am so blessed to have been a part of it and I cannot wait to return to L’Arche Hamilton someday soon! 

Angelika
      Before going on this trip I've heard many great things about L'Arche and the amazing experience I will have once I'm there. I didn't really understand what everyone was telling me about L'Arche and didn't fully get how it would be a life changing experience for me. However, once I got there I understood right away what everyone was talking about. It was such an incredible experience that I will never forget. Is an experience I wish everyone would experience at least once in their life because it was such a marvelous experience. Is hard to explain my whole experience with L'Arche that is better for someone to just experience it themselves. Because is hard to explain all the emotions that I felt and the things I saw there. I didn't understand it in the beginning until I actually went there myself. Even though everyone can't experience L'Arche I will share my experience and the gifts and lesson I was taught to others hoping that they want to experience it too someday.  
Image
      When I arrived there I was welcomed with open arms and just felt the love from every single person there. I was able to learn more about myself and build relationship with not only the people at L'Arche but my group members as well. It was a nice way to remind myself that I should make time for myself and the people around me instead of rushing ahead towards my future all the time. I should be present in the moment and just enjoy myself and build stronger relationship with everyone around me. This is a trip I will never forget and I will use all the gifts and lesson that was given to me and use it everyday. Thank you L'Arche and my group members for all you have shown and taught me throughout this trip. Hopefully someday I can go back there or even go to other L'Arche communities to meet new people and make more wonderful relationships. 

. . .

To read everyone's stories moves my heart; to see how many lives were impacted and to the degree in which they were impacted is truly incredible. The imense love, compassion and positive energy that we found on this trip was incomprehensible. I leave with my heart full, smiling, remembering all of the good times and the beautiful memories. 

It is important not to forget what we learned here. It is so easy to get caught in the stream of life as school work will pile up, clubs and organizations will meet up again, all your crazy friends will come back and it can be easy to push aside everything we learned. I challenge not only myself, but my group and to whom ever reads this: everyday, take the time to see the beauty and love around you. Stop what you're doing and just be present. Take that time to see how blessed are are in this world and all of the love and good that is around us. 


Thank you to everyone for following our journey!

Much love, 

Michael Rizzo


No comments:

Post a Comment